Periodontal disease, commonly known as gum disease, ranges from simple inflammation to a serious disease that damages the soft tissue and bone. While it is common in adults, there are certain factors that increase the likelihood of gum disease affecting your smile.
- Smoking – This is one of the most significant risk factors associated with the development of gum disease.
- Hormones – Hormonal changes in girls and women can make gums more sensitive and make it easier for gingivitis to develop.
- Diabetes – People with diabetes are at a greater risk of developing infections, including gum disease. This is a condition where the body fails to utilize the ingested glucose properly, we recommend having an anti-diabetic supplement to prevent infections.
- Medication Use – Prescription and over-the-counter medications can reduce the flow of saliva. Without enough saliva, the mouth is susceptible to gum disease and infection.
- Genetics – Some people have a genetic disposition to developing severe gum disease.
To learn more about gum disease causes, prevention, and associated risk factors, read this article or contact our office. Visit Perfect Smile Maker for bi-annual exams can help keep your teeth healthy and clean, as well as help to identify any signs of gum disease early on. Call 516-482-2215 to schedule an appointment.
Want to improve the appearance of your smile? Advancements in cosmetic dentistry have made correcting chips, gaps, and discoloration simple! Snap-On Smile provides patients with an affordable smile makeover option.
Snap-On Smile is a thin dental product that is custom designed to fit directly over your natural teeth. There is no need for messy adhesives. Instead, Snap-On Smile simply “snaps” onto the teeth. Patients can work with their dentist to choose their new smile’s shape and shade.
Benefits of choosing Snap-On Smile:
Unlike other more invasive cosmetic dental services, Snap-On Smile doesn’t alter your natural tooth structure. This makes it a more affordable smile makeover option and an excellent choice for patients who are nervous about more invasive services.
Snap-On Smile is one of the many cosmetic dental services we offer at Perfect Smile Maker. To determine if you are a good candidate for Snap-On Smile, schedule a visit to our office! Stewart Brody, DDS can help you find the best cosmetic solution for your dental needs. Visit our website to learn more or give us a call at 516-482-2215.
Don’t forget to follow us on social media!
Outdoor summer activities are fun, but they can also leave you prone to injury. Knowing how to prevent and manage a dental emergency can help save an injured or damaged tooth. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when spending time outdoors on summer vacation.
Tooth Emergency Tips:
- Lost Tooth – If you have lost a tooth, place it in a glass of milk. Take the tooth with you to the emergency room and apply an ice pack to minimize any swelling. The sooner the tooth is re-inserted, the better the chance the tooth will survive.
- Fractured Tooth – Rinse your mouth with warm water after breaking a tooth. Apply a cold compress to reduce any swelling.
- Wedged Object – Have something stuck in between your teeth? Try to remove it with floss. If this doesn’t work, visit our office.
- Loose Tooth – A loose tooth may reattach on its own, but you should always visit the dentist for a consultation. We can make sure that the root of the tooth is not dying and reattaches properly.
- Toothache – Try brushing and flossing to ease the pain. If it still hurts, stick to soft foods or try an over-the-counter pain killer.
If you experience any dental emergencies this summer, visit our office! At Perfect Smile Maker, we can help you with all of your dental needs. Call 516-482-2215 to schedule your consultation.
Don’t forget to follow us on social media:
Dr. Stewart Brody, a graduate of the New York University College of Dentistry, runs a family-oriented practice in Great Neck, New York, where he is highly regarded one of the best dentists in the area. Serving the dental needs of residents in Nassau County and Suffolk County, Long Island, Queens, and New York, Stewart Brody, DDS emphasizes in cosmetic dentistry, invisalign braces, tooth whitening, dental implants, Emergency Dentistry and other cosmetic dentistry procedures. Stewart Brody, DDS is prepared to treat dental emergencies promptly, plus we’re available for Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontal Therapy, Dentures, Fillings, and much more. For more information, please call us at (516) 482-2215 or visit us on the web at – www.perfectsmilemaker.com Add us on Social Media – Facebook Twitter Google+
- Permanent – Dental implants are designed to last a lifetime. Since they are attached directly to your jawbone, they act as a long lasting tooth replacement option.
- Aesthetics – Each implant is custom designed to match the color, shape, and texture of your natural teeth.
- Simple Care – Dental implants do not require any special maintenance. Regular brushing, flossing, and dental cleanings is all that is needed to keep your smile healthy.
- Natural – Unlike bridges, dental implants are a standalone restoration. There is no need to alter any of the surrounding teeth.
- Easy to Wear
- Custom Design
- High Compliance Rate
- Improved Sleeping Habits
- Reduced Risk of Heart Attack and Stroke
- Confidence – When people are happy with the appearance of their smile, they are more likely to feel confident when smiling and talking to others.
- Long Lasting – Custom teeth whitening trays are designed for your unique smile. They are reusable and can keep your smile bright for a long time to come.
- Oral Health – When people are happier with the appearance of their smile they are more likely to keep it that way with regular brushing and flossing. Even though teeth whitening is a cosmetic service, it can have health benefits too!
- Anti-Aging – Teeth whitening is a great way to create a more youthful appearance.
- Restorations – Are you looking to restore the appearance of your smile with a crown or veneers? Many patients opt for teeth whitening procedures prior to their restoration. The restorations are then customized to match your bright new smile.
- Titanium Implant – The implant is attached directly to the jaw bone. Through a process known as osseointegration, the jaw conforms to the base of the implant. This securely holds the restoration in place and acts as the root of the tooth.
- Abutment – The abutment attaches the implant base to the custom crown.
- Crown – Each crown is custom created to match the shape, color and texture of your natural smile. The crown provides patients with a natural appearance that looks and feels real.