Dental Implants vs. Dentures
Dentist | Long Island Family & Cosmetic Dentist
Comparison of Dental Implants and Dentures
Dental Implant Procedure vs. Dentures Procedure
Dentures take several appointments over three to six weeks. In the first appointment, impressions of the jaw and tooth structure are taken. Wax or plastic moulds are created and tried on. Final cast is made and fitted and adjustments made.
Dental Implants are placed in the bone socket (Local anesthesia needed). It takes five to eight months to fix the prosthetic tooth onto the implant. A more complete description of the procedure can be seen on our dental implants process page.
Comfort of Dental Implants vs. Comfort of Dentures
Dentures can move and make clicking sounds when you eat or speak, so it may make you uncomfortable. Dentures in the upper jaw have better grip than lower dentures due to suction from roof of the mouth. Ability to chew is greatly reduced, compared to natural teeth.
Dental Implants are very stable, as they have a root-like portion that fits into the bone socket, like natural teeth. People who have implant-supported artificial teeth can chew efficiently.
Why Dental Implants are considered BETTER than Dentures
- You don’t have to worry about the crown falling off.
- Easier to chew with implants compared to dentures
- Dental implants are made of titanium, which the body accepts. This has two advantages: one, it promotes healthy bone growth and second, this natural bone holds the implant firmly in place. The opposite happens with dentures, as pressure from the dentures causes disintegration of bone material.
- Some people may be allergic to some of the material like acrylic used in dentures whereas titanium used in dental implants is bio-compatible.
Advantages of Dentures compared to Dental Implants
- Dentures are a less expensive option than Dental Implants
- Dentures are a relatively quick process, whereas dental implants are more time-consuming. After the implants are placed, it may take anywhere from 3-6 months for osseo-integration to happen.